I’ve been crock potting this summer. Our house tends to stay pretty cool at night so I’ll cook a meal over low heat while I sleep and then let it sit on the counter cooling the next day to be reheated for dinner. I feel the cooling time allows the flavors to meddle (soup is always better the next day).
- 1/2 lb Black Eyed Peas
- 1 lb Buffalo Sausage (I bought some fresh ones from Whole Foods)
- Onion, chopped
- ~1/2 C Carrot, chopped
- ~1/2 C Celery, diced
- Garlic, chopped
- Seasoning (I used oregano and parsley)
- 1 Qt Broth
1. Place beans in a large bowl. Boil some water and add to the beans. Cover and let sit 1 hour. (I wanted my beans super soft).
2. Drain beans and add to crock pot.
3. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, s&p.
4. Chop sausage into coins and remove casing.
5. Cook on low for ~8 hours.
This soup was awesome. The seasoning in the sausage gave a nice flavor to the soup!!!