Life has been pretty mellow lately. I’ve been cooking plenty, but mainly simple meals. While they are satisfying I don’t think they are exciting enough to share with you. Normally I try to plan ahead most of the meals I cook as a means to make grocery shopping more efficient. We don’t have much room for a pantry where we are currently living so I can’t stock up on many items I’d love to have laying around.. cans of tomatoes, a variety of grains, pastas, cans of beans, taco shells, the list could go on and on. I dream of having a large kitchen with plenty of storage space! But for now we make do with what we have. I do burn out on planning ahead at times and lately this has been the case. Instead I’ve been going to the grocery store and buying what produce looks good along with a few different pantry items to throw things together as each meal time comes around. I love cooking this way and can’t wait to have the space to be stocked up on enough staple items to do this more often.
This meal was one of my throw together ideas. I had purchased an eggplant, zucchini, and a box of kamut pasta. So from there the inspiration came. Thankfully I had a lemon, kalamata olives, a jar of capers, fresh tomatoes, and some leftover feta. Most of these items I typically have on hand. I chopped and salted the eggplant while I prepared the rest of the ingredients. I wanted this dish to be zesty so I used both the zest and juice of the whole lemon. Also I had previously frozen some fresh oregano leaves in olive oil ice cubes which has proven to be a great idea. So I added in some oregano for fresh spice flavor. This meal came together quickly and had plenty going on. I love using capers, olives, feta, and lemon. They have come to be some of my favorite flavors.. vibrant, fresh and salty.
Zesty Eggplant and Zucchini Pasta
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into cubes ~1″
- 1 large zucchini, chopped – I prefer mine thin and in small pieces
- small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, diced small
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/8 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2-3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- olive oil
- 6 oz kamut spirals (1/2 box)
- Place chopped eggplant in a colander and salt liberally. Allow to sit 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare other ingredients.
- Rinse salted eggplant well and dry with a dish towel. I lay the towel flat on the counter, spread the eggplant in an even layer on the towel, and then roll the towel somewhat snug to absorb the water.
- Put up a pot of water for pasta and cook according to directions.
- While pasta water is heating up heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini. Continue to cook until both start to brown, another 5 minutes.
- Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, tomatoes, capers, olives, and oregano. Season with s&p. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook until liquid has been absorbed and vegetables are fully tender.
- Toss in cooked kamut spirals and feta cheese.