Cheers to food! Double cheers to creating good food with no plan, using what’s left in the fridge. Triple cheers to loving your creation. Need I say more?
Warm Shrimp, Fennel, & Endive Salad
A filling salad of shrimp, fennel, endive, lemon juice, parsley, and white wine. Oh and bacon. Never forget the bacon!
- 1 lb shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced thin
- pint baby heirloom tomatoes, chopped (substitute cherry)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, pinot grigio
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 large endive, chopped
- 2 oz smoked goat cheese
- A few hours before cooking peel and devein shrimp. Season with s&p and place in a glass container. Prepare garlic and mix in with shrimp. Cover and refrigerate.
- At cooking time - cook bacon over low heat to render out fat. Once done remove from pan and set on a plate.
- In a large saute pan add a bit of olive oil over medium high heat. Once warm add the garlic shrimp and cook a few minutes until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until it starts to sweat. Stir in the fennel and continue to cook another 6-8 minutes until close to being tender crisp.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, white wine, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with s&p and let the wine cook off and tomatoes soften 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, parsley, and endive (reserve a tablespoon or so of chopped parsley). Just heat through and wilt the endive. Crumble bacon (reserving a tablespoon or so), and toss into the dish.
- Top with chopped/crumbled smoked goat cheese, reserved parsley and bacon crumbles.
This dish would be great over pasta if you are interested in upping the carbs! I love goat cheese but a great substitute would be mozzarella, smoked mozzarella, or fresh grated pecorino romano.