I decided to make a vegan vichyssoise with fennel. For those who don’t know vichyssoise is potato and leek soup served chilled. Traditionally you add heavy cream but I am substituting amaranth to give it thickness. I have never made a soup of this nature and decided to give it a try. I was very pleased with the end result.
Fennel, Onion, Red Onion, Potatoes
Amaranth and Veggie Stock
A vegan fennel and potato vichyssoise using amaranth instead of heavy cream.
- 2 large fennel bulbs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup amaranth
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- white pepper
- fennel fronds, to garnish
- Sauté onion in olive oil over low heat. The concept is to sweat the onions cooking them slowly so they don’t turn brown. Add a little salt to help this process along.
- Once onions are glassy add the fennel and potato, again letting the veggies sweat for another 5 minutes or so.
- Then add amaranth, vegetable stock, and season with s&p. Cook over medium heat for ~30 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Let the soup cool for 20 minutes and then blend it in batches with a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Place blended soup in a large bowl and top with fennel fronds. Chill in the fridge for a 4 hours before serving.