Everything I have made or been inspired to create from the cookbook Veganomicon has been truly incredible! Normally I have a small problem following recipes but for this one I stuck to the book. Why? Because this recipe was so incredibly simple and I wanted to see how good it would taste with such few ingredients. The end result was delicious, of course I did top with pecorino romano and ricotta salata. Hey I’m not vegan for a reason!
- Olive Oil
- Garlic, minced
- Crushed Red Pepper, 1/4-1/2 t
- Can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes, 28 oz.
- Vodka, 1/4 c (I used Svedka)
- Dried Thyme, 1/4 t
- Dried Oregano, 1/4 t
- Salt, 1/4-1/2 t
- Silvered or Sliced Almonds, 1/2 c
- Fresh Basil, 1/4 c finely chopped
- Pecorino Romano
- Ricotta Salata
1. Boil water for pasta
2. Heat a saucepan over medium/low heat. Add oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper and sauté for~1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes, vodka, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper to saucepan. Cover and turn up heat a bit to bring to a simmer, then lower heat and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occassionaly.
4. Next add almonds and blend with an immersion blender until creamy and only slightly grainy.
5. Add basil to sauce and taste test, adjusting spices if needed. Pasta should be cooking and almost done.
6. Mix pasta and sauce. Serve topped with pecorino romano and ricotta salata.