Nothing fancy here. Simple ground turkey and black bean burritos filled in a tortilla with avocado. No extra frills with plenty flavorful. As I’m keeping the meals simple these days I’ve been loving how little energy I use to cook us dinner. It’s been so nice to whip dinner up in a flash and then relax with Josh as Cia is sound asleep. Time has become very valuable these days! So this is a perfect weeknight meal. Everything goes in one pan and the entire meal is ready within 30 minutes! I know I’ll be keeping this recipe in rotation for awhile.
Turkey and Black Bean Burritos
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used thigh)
- 1 onion, chopped
- olive oil
- chili powder
- s&p (I used white pepper)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ~1 cup, fancy shredded cheese
- avocado, sliced
- tortillas (I used spelt)
- salsa to serve
- In a large saucepan heat up a small amount of olive oil and add the onion. Continue to cook until it starts to become translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and brown, breaking into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Season with chili powder, cumin oregano, and s&p. I probably used 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon oregano.
- Stir in the black beans. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. (The beans were wet from rinsing and added the water needed so the food wouldn’t stick, if your beans are pretty dry add 1 tablespoon water.)
- Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. Mix in cheese to melt.
- Lightly warm tortilla over stove. Fill with avocado and turkey/black bean filling.