Lately it’s been on my mind to start feeding Cia Louise the meals I cook for Josh and I. And really why not? She likes everything I feed her. Well everything but zucchini. And I really can’t blame her on this one, zucchini tends to be one of those veggies I only sort of like sometimes. And when I do eat it I like it to be cooked thoroughly as to reduce as much of the zucchini flavor as possible. Strange but true.
Anyway back to the meal. I pulled out the crock pot and made a batch of tofu noodle soup which is really chicken noodle soup made with tofu instead of chicken. This soup was awesome! I used lots of spices: basil, oregano, marjoram, dill, and thyme. I also added in a 1/4-1/2 cup of raisins. Yes this should sound weird. Awhile ago I read about adding raisins to chicken noodle soup in a magazine and when I saw my bag of raisins sitting in the fridge I figured I’d give it a shot. As the soup cooks in the crock pot all the essence transfers from the raisins to the broth adding a unique but delicious flavor. A little sweet but not overpowering due to the amount of spices used. For the noodles I cooked whole wheat orecchiette, separately, and added to each bowl. I do not like mushy noodles in my soup. I served each bowl with some fresh grated pecorino romano. Yum!
When it came time to feed Cia the following day I immersion blended a small portion for her, minus the noodles. I tend to feed her chunky food but I wasn’t sure she was really going to be into the soup so I figured the more combined the better. She happily ate the whole bowl. I’m not even sure if she noticed it was a new food. For the next round I smooshed the vegetables and crumbled the tofu. No difference in her enthusiasm to eat the whole bowl. I love that she throughly enjoyed her first ‘meal’ by me. To keep the soup party going I froze a handful of more portions for future meals. Go Lou!
Tofu Noodle Soup
- – 2 large carrots, sliced into 1″ half moons
- – 1 onion, chopped
- – 2 celery stalks, chopped
- – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- – 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon, chicken or vegetable base
- – super firm tofu, I used sprouted tofu which was only available in 10 oz packages so I bought two
- – 1/4 – 1/2 cup raisins
- – 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- – 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- – 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- – 1/4 teaspoon fancy thyme
- – 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- – s&p
- – water
- – noodles, I used whole wheat orecchiette
- – pecorino romano
- Slice tofu into 1″ thick squares. Heat up a nonstick pan over medium high heat and add a small amount of oil (not olive oil). Add tofu and brown both sides. Remove from pan and chop into cubes.
- Add tofu, onion, celery, garlic, vegetable base, raisins, basil, dill, oregano, thyme, marjoram, and s&p to crock pot. Add water just covering all the ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until veggies are tender.
- Shortly before serving cook pasta according to package. Place a portion of noodles in a bowl, add soup, and top with pecorino romano.