This was an easy dinner. The tofu dish I used to cook quite often when we first moved to Colorado. Josh mentioned it over the weekend so I figured I’d bring it back into action. Our kale was a repeat from the previous post… it was just too good. And of course a nice grain to finish meal. I absolutely love couscous but avoid it due to the wheat so brown rice couscous is a wonderful substitute. I tend to not like brown rice but when it’s in couscous form it’s hard to beat!
Pressing the tofu
Marinating pressed and sliced tofu with some tamari
Made breadcrumbs with fresh bread and roasted unsalted pistachios
Marinade: Veganaise, Tamari, Maple Syrup, Mustard
Raw washed kale waiting to be steamed
Prepared tofu (dipped in marinade and then coated in breadcrumbs)
Of course I forgot to take a picture of the completed tofu and kale before serving us.. we were just too hungry!
- block firm tofu
- 2-3 slices fresh bread
- 1/2 c – 1 c raw pistachios (I couldn’t find them anywhere so I used roasted unsalted)
- maple syrup
- mustard, I used stone ground
- Bragg liquid aminos, to serve
1. Press the block of tofu for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Slice pressed tofu into 6 or 8 pieces. Coat with a little bit of tamari and set aside to marinade.
4. In a food processor add the fresh bread and pistachios. Pulse until desired consistency. Season with s&p. Set aside.
5. Make marinade using ~3 T veganaise, ~2 T mustard, ~2 T maple syrup, and ~2 T tamari. I don’t measure and just add until I find the desired taste.
6. Take tofu slices and coat liberally with marinade and then place in breadcrumbs. Lightly push the breadcrumbs into each slice of tofu to make a decent layer on all sided. Set on a baking sheet and repeat with all slices of tofu.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until breadcrumbs are browned.
8. Serve with a few sprays off Bragg liquid aminos.
- Bragg sesame and ginger dressing
1. Wash kale, remove steam, and break into bite sized pieces.
2. Steam until bright green and just tender.
3. Toss with Bragg dressing and some s&p.
Brown Rice Couscous
- brown rice couscous
- spike seasoning
1. Follow directions on box adding some spike seasoning and some s&p to water to flavor the rice.