Yes you read that right, tempura avocado! I made a typical batch of rice and beans – I’m not posting the recipe but you can find a handful of beans and rice recipes if you search this site. As I was saying.. While I was cooking dinner I knew I wanted something a bit more to add to the meal when I hit me. I recently bought some panko (the good kind), and have been waiting for ideas on what to do with it. I’m not one to fry food but when it comes to something like avocado how could I refuse. This wasn’t a deep fry, about 1/4-1/2 inch of oil in a skillet. Just enough to lightly golden the panko. The avocado stayed ‘firm’ and there was a nice crunch on the outside. I will be making these again!
- avocado, sliced into 8 pieces (or you could do strips)
- 1 egg, beaten
- grapeseed oil
It’s really pretty simple.
- Lightly coat the avocado in flour, then dip in the egg, and coat in panko.
- Heat up 1/4-1/2 inch of grapeseed oil in a small skillet. I used my 8”.
- Once oil is hot add in 4 squares of avocado. There’s no need to overcrowd.
- Once one side had browned flip over and cook the other.
- Remove and repeat with other 4 slices.
Eat and be merry.