As Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching I’m feeling inspired to enjoy a few fall styled meals. I love the warming flavors that come with the season.. squash, cranberries, apples, sage, and cinnamon to name a few. Every year for Thanksgiving I take a different approach from the traditional. I want something delicious and easy. This year it’s going to be a modified coq-au-vin.. using turkey legs cooking it in my crockpot. I can’t wait. But I do still enjoy Thanksgiving fixings, particularly cranberries and sweet potatoes. So I cook them a few times around the season to enjoy their deliciousness!
For this meal I combined my love of fall all into one. Sweet potatoes, cranberries, and apples all cooked with red onion, cinnamon, ginger, orange zest, and maple syrup. And to make this a complete one pot meal I added in chicken thighs. I let my crockpot do it’s magic filling our home with heavenly scents! I’m happy to report this turned out quite delicious. Sweet, tart, and savory all wrapped into one. I topped it with fresh toasted pecans and served it along with roasted brussel sprouts.
Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Apple, and Chicken
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaping tbsp orange zest
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2 cup pecans
- Season chicken thighs with s&p and brown in coconut oil over medium high heat. Set aside.
- Place half the red onion, half the apple, and half the cranberries in the crockpot. Add the bay leaf, layer in the chicken thighs, and add the sweet potatoes. Season with s&p. Top with the remaining onion, apple, and cranberries. Add zest, syrup, cinnamon, ginger, and garlic. Lastly pour broth over everything.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours.