We knew we wanted plantains, the rest sort of just happened…
Patacones, Guacamole, Smoked Salmon, Bibb Lettuce, Brazilian Potato Salad, Kale Superfood Salad, and Crackers!!! (And Josh’s left over vegetarian enchiladas)
We were lazy and bought our sides pre-made from Whole Foods.
As for the patacones, we made them fresh outside on the grill using a skillet. Keeps the oil splatters out of the kitchen and the heat out of the house.
- 2 Green Plantains
- Oil for Frying
- Garlic Seasoning
1. Peel skin off plantains and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch rounds.
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Add plantains and cook until nicely browned. Remove from oil.
3. Next using a plantain smoosher that is well coated in oil smoosh your plantains one a time. Since they smoosh into a big shape you’ll have to refry them in two batches.
4. Add the smooshed plantains back to the oil and cook again until lightly browned and cripsy on the outside.
5. Immediately season with garlic seasoning.
6. Eat… these are delicious with avocado or guacamole!
In case anyone was curious about the Whole Foods meals here are the ingredients. The potato salad was on point, and I’m not a huge potato salad lover.
1. Superfood Salad with Acai Dressing with Oil: Kale, Purple cabbage, Cartos, Red Onions, Blueberries, Edemamae, Grape Tomatoes, Cashews, Goji Berries, Sunflower Seeds, Acai Dressing (Acai Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, Canola Oil, Salt, Black pepper, Caenne, Soy Lecithin).
2. Brazilian Potato Salad: Red Potato, Olive Oil, Shallots, Grape Tomatoes, Sherry Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Garlic, Sea Salt, Black Pepper.
3. Fresh Guacamole: Avocado, Onion, Tomatoes, Variety Hot Peppers, Salt Black Pepper, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Garlic.