These were delicious. Like really really delicious! I haven’t eaten pizza for a long time and these mushrooms were a perfect substitute. I made a pesto using arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, and walnuts. The arugula was a nice change from using basil. A bit spicy! And the walnuts were the perfect compliment. They add a hearty texture along with an earthy richness. I even got the Cia stamp of approval! I thought maybe the arugula and sun dried tomatoes would be too flavorful for her, apparently not. I love my foodie girl.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh grated pecorino romano
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup fresh peas (frozen would work too)
- 6 stuffing mushrooms
- 4 oz smoked mozzarella
- Make pesto. Food process sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, arugula leaves, and 1/4 cup pecorino romano. If needed add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. It will be a bit chunky. Season with s&p.
- Place pesto in a bowl and mix with panko, peas, and 2 tablespoons pecorino romano.
- Stuff mushrooms with pesto filling.
- Place in a lightly oiled skillet or pyrex dish. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Top with mozzarella and broil until brown and bubbly.