As summer carries on all the fresh produce surrounding me has kept me inspired in the kitchen. It’s been a fun summer of cooking while being pregnant. I know that I complain how the heat slows me down, but I’m already getting sad thinking about the cold weather arriving and the fresh produce diminishing. Thankfully we are taking full advantage of all the fruits and vegetables as they become available. We bought three beautiful patty pan squash at the farmer’s market and I decided to make a simple but elegant salad.
I sautéed the chopped squash in a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Once the squash cooled I mixed in plenty of fresh basil from our garden and a pint of halved local cherry tomatoes. This was good but I decided to take it a step further and added in some fresh grated pecorino romano. Perfect!
- 3 medium-large patty pan squash, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh grated pecorino romano
- In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the squash and cook until just past tender crisp and slightly browned. For me this was about 8 minutes. Season with s&p, remove pan from heat, and allow squash to cool.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients. Season more if necessary and allow to marinate for 30 minutes before serving at room temperature.