As I’ve recently mentioned we are enjoying the Blue Apron service. About once a month I choose three meals to be delivered to our home. As I look through the meal selection and pick out which week has the tastiest match for Josh and I, I also gain some inspiration. With this in mind, a few weeks ago I came across their recipe, fusilli con buco pasta with summer squash and mint. I chose to skip the week but I loved the sound of lemon and mint with summer squash. Especially when I can pick the mint from our garden and buy the squash local from the farmer’s market. No fancy ingredients to buy from the store. This is something that really appeals to me about many of the Blue Apron recipes, the use of fresh herbs and lemon to flavor simple and quick to prepare meals. I feel like I’m totally back to the basics and we are enjoying every bite of it.
Summer Squash & Mint Pasta
A simple pasta dish inspired by Blue Apron. Summer squash and shredded chicken seasoned with garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and mint. Perfect for a summer pasta dish!
- 2-3 oz pasta, I used tarchiette
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
- 1 large shallot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 2 round summer squash, sliced into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 sprig mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano
- Heat up a pot of water to cook the pasta. Once boiling add the pasta and cook until almost al dente. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Heat up ghee and olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallot, zucchini, and summer squash. Season with s&p and continue to cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes or so.
- To the veggies add the cooked pasta, reserved pasta water, shredded chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, most of the mint, and 1/4 cup of the pecorino romano. Cook while stirring until everything is well mixed, 2 minutes. Season with s&p.
- Split into bowls and garnish with remaining pecorino romano and mint.