Josh and I have definitely started veggie season out right! We eat tons and tons of them. Seriously. I have come to really hate our refrigerator as there is never enough room for them all. I have bags of kale stuffed in any free corner. Such a pain! But it doesn’t deter us from eating our veggies. It’s so much easier to eat healthy in the summer. We avoid heavy, comfort styled food opting for light stir fries and salads instead. I’m a few weeks behind on posts but I have a few delicious salads to share once I have the time. I find that I can get about 85% of what I want to get done completed in a day. Unfortunately my blog falls in the last 15% which gets pushed off day after day. I mean would I rather spend quality time with my kids or sit in from of my laptop? But I’m working on time management to fit it back in.
Here I quickly stir fried some veggies and tempeh with a homemade sauce. The sauce is along the lines of teriyaki with plenty of ginger to add some zing. I’m not a huge fan of sesame oil, but if you are I’d recommend adding a teaspoon to the mix.
Carrots, broccolini, shiitake mushrooms, celery, jicama, cucumber, tempeh, and cilantro is what I chose to use. But feel free to substitute or add in whatever you prefer.. peppers, green onion, zucchini, ect..
Stir Fried Tempeh and Vegetables
- 4.5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Bragg liquid aminos
- 4 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 4 small garlic, grated or minced (I used a microplane to grate)
- 1 1/2″ knob of fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 package tempeh, chopped into 1″ cubes
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- small jicama, sliced into matchsticks ~1 cup
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- Make sauce- mix rice vinegar, liquid aminos, coconut sugar, grated garlic, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat up grapeseed oil in a large sauté pan. Add broccolini, celery, tempeh and 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Sauté 7 minutes or so until veggies start to brown.
- Add the shrooms, jicama, carrots and most of the sauce. Continue to sauté another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and cucumber.
- Serve topped with the rest of the sauce and the sesame seeds.