I tend to make the same dal recipes posted on this blog often but this time decided to try something a little different. I don’t make a traditional dal with all the proper spices but instead go for a more ‘Americanized’ version since it’s much easier and I have the spices used on hand. Since you don’t need to monitor a dish like this cooking dal in the crockpot for me is the only way. This batch I added in a large bag of frozen greens. My original idea was to use spinach but when I saw the broccoli rabe next to it I bought that instead. I also added in a can of coconut milk which I normally don’t do when I cook moong beans. The end result was really good. The dal was thick, full of flavor, and I liked that the greens added something more.
Split Moong Bean Dal with Greens
- 1 lb split moong beans, rinsed well
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon vegetable base (or chicken for non-vegetarians)
- can coconut milk
- 16 oz frozen broccoli rabe
- Add all ingredients to crockpot. Add water until the ingredients are covered by one inch.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Serve with naan or rice.