Even though it’s 90 degrees outside I’ve been wanting to make soup with the fresh veggies we keep getting… so here’s my latest creation. I did find the combination of beets and sweet potatoes online and I happened to have a bunch of Golden Beets in the fridge (also from the market), so I bought a Jewel Sweet Potato and Garnett Sweet Potato from the store.
A flavorful colorful soup using beets and sweet potatoes.
- olive oil
- can of diced tomatoes
- a bunch of chopped cilantro
- chopped sweet potatoes - jewel and garnett
- dried basil
- ground cumin
- ~4 cups of water
- 6 small-medium golden beets, greens saved and chopped
- tortilla chips
- Sautéed garlic and onion in olive oil over low heat to release their flavors.
- Once translucent add tomatoes, cilantro, sweet potatoes, dried basil, ground cumin, s&p, curry powder, and water - enough to just cover the veggies..
- Raise the heat to bring the soup to light boil and then lowered it back down to simmer.
- Meanwhile roast the golden beets - cut off the tops and roast them whole at 375° with a bit of olive oil coating them, ~35 minutes. Take them out once they are soft all the way through but still firm. Chop.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender add the beet greens and the chopped roasted beets.
- Serve with fresh avocado and tortilla chips.
I made this soup a day in advance so it could sit in the fridge… we all know soup tastes better the next day!