I chose to name this soup in Spanish because it reminds me of the food we ate in Panama. Extremely basic yet satisfying. You really don’t need a lot of ingredients to make a tasty meal. I used two kinds of lentils, basic brown and black belugas. The brown lentils make the soup thick and creamy while the belugas hold their shape and add some texture. I did cook the belugas separately and add them to the soup once finished as both lentils require different cooking times.
If you noticed I’ve been serving a lot of our foods with fresh avocado. This is because they are so good for you! Avocado provides your body with vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, riboflavin, niacin, folate and pantothenic acid. The potassium content of avocados is 30% higher than bananas. It is known some women during the end of their pregnancy can be prone to high blood pressure. Potassium helps regulate this. And another benefit for pregnant women is the high folate content. This helps in the development of brain and other tissues of the baby. Also for those nauseous ladies B6 vitamin may help in reducing this unfortunate symptom. Yes avocados are full of fat but it’s the good fat, monounsaturated. Avocados are antioxidant rich and have been said to promote good oral health, prevent cancers, support the eyes, and support the skin. And lastly avocados are known to improve your absorption of nutrients when combined other fat burning foods. Good stuff!
Sopa de Lentejas
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- sweet potato, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- garlic, minced
- red onion, chopped
- fresh ginger, grated (I was lazy and grated about 1 teaspoon and then threw in another 1″ peeled knob)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon vegetable base
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup beluga black lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water, to cook black lentils
- Add all ingredients except the black lentils and 1 1/2 cups water to the crock pot. Cook on low for 7 hours until lentils are soft.
- Once brown lentils are soft cook black belugas. I boiled 1 1/2 cups salted water, added the black lentils, and simmered for 20 minutes until soft and tender.
- Add black lentils to crock pot. Mix well and adjust seasonings if necessary. (I chose to make mine a day in advance to allow the black lentils to absorb some of the flavor before enjoying. You could always cook the black lentils with some seasoning if desired).