As you can see Miss Fern was just as excited as me about my new grill skillet! I’ve been wanting one of these and sometimes you just have to go for it. Plus it will get plenty of use. I wasn’t sure what size I would go with but they were out of the 12″ so I went with the 10″. My cast iron family includes 6 pieces at this time and I’m really happy with them. I do have one nonstick that I’ll use on the occasion, but overall cast iron is the way to go. If money weren’t an issue I’d love a Le Creuset family, one day..
Here I made some delicious shrimp tacos. I kept it simple but with lots of flavors, textures, and colors. I feel a dish like this is a good example of Christine style cooking. I eat with all my senses and can be picky in this way. Texture can make or break a meal. Here I have the softness of the tortilla and avocado, slight chewiness of the shrimp, and crunch of the cabbage and choyote. Of course taste is important but if it’s a pile of mush when it should have some crunch I’m walking away. I’m going to stop before I start a food rant. Enjoy the recipe and make these! I used a choyote but if you can’t find any substitute whatever you’d like. I can imagine grilled zucchini or summer squash strips would be pretty tastee too.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and detailed
- chili powder
- garlic, minced
- fresh oregano
- sour cream
- lime juice
- lime zest
- red cabbage, sliced thin
- lime juice
- Bragg liquid aminos
- corn tortillas
- Prep red cabbage salad. Add the red cabbage (sliced) into a bowl and mix in the lime juice, s&p, and cilantro. (I used half a lime). Taste test and set aside to marinade. (Avocado will be added right before serving)
- Marinade shrimp 30 minutes or so. Place shrimp in a bowl and mix with some chili powder, cumin, fresh minced garlic, fresh oregano, and a bit of s&p. I didn’t measure anything but I went light on the spices letting the fresh oregano take over.
- Make sour cream sauce. I used my immersion blender blending some sour cream with the juice of 1/2 a lime, zest of a whole lime, and a few dashes of salt.
- Heat up grill skillet. Once hot add the choyote and spray generously with Bragg liquid aminos. Cook until each side is slightly charred. Set aside.
- Grill shrimp until cooked through.
- Heat tortillas over gas stove top until mildly charred. I wanted them to be charred in spots.
- Add avocado to cabbage salad and if needed season more with lime, s&p, and/or cilantro.
- Assemble and serve with lime wedges.