It’s been awhile since I’ve posted a meal. And it’s not because I haven’t been cooking. Recently I found a nice routine that involves cleaning, feeding, and putting Cia Louise to bed followed by cooking and eating before 8pm, most of the time anyway. Normally when our meal is ready I’m pretty ravenous and I immediately start to eat. Half way through it registers I forgot to take pictures. Ostrich chili, pumpkin cornbread, lentil stew, barley risotto, roasted kale and mushrooms are a few of my recent blog worthy recipes. Hopefully this meal is the start of my return.
Tacos really are about as easy as it gets. I kept these simple and used lime juice and zest to give it a nice burst of flavor. I also added in some grain using a box mix from Seeds of Change (quinoa and brown rice blend with cilantro seasoning). You can easily use any plain grain of your choice and add seasonings, cilantro, oregano, chili powder, and/or cumin are a few that come to mind. I love fresh cilantro with tacos but I find I end up throwing away most of the bunch which is why I opted to use a cilantro seasoned grain blend. These were definitely good eats!
- – 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- – 1/4 tsp chili powder
- – 1/4 tsp cumin
- – s&p
- – lime, zest and juice
- – 1 tbsp olive oil
- – 1 cup frozen corn
- – greens (I used a large handful of baby arugula and spinach, greens that can be wilted)
- – Cuzco Whole Grain Quinoa Blend, cooked according to box
- – cherry tomatoes, chopped
- – blue corn tacos
- Place shrimp in a bowl and season with s&p. I used white pepper. Mix in chili powder, cumin, lime zest, and olive oil. Cover and marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Place corn in a small pot with half cup of water and lime juice. Bring to a simmer and cook a few minutes until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a skillet heat up a small amount of olive oil and add the shrimp. Once they start to turn pink add in the corn. Continue to cook. Once shrimp are almost cooked through add in greens to wilt.
- Meanwhile cook taco shells.
- Assemble tacos: grain, shrimp corn and greens, topped with tomato.