Yay for Josh’s Birthday : ). I discussed taking Josh out for dinner, but ended up cooking for him. In his words my meal would be better than any meal we would have enjoyed out. If you haven’t noticed he’s a keeper!
- Plain Rice Milk (vegan dinner)
- Olive Oil
- Cumin, 2 T
- Garlic, 5 cloves
- Brussel Sprouts
- Napa Cabbage
- Parry Pan Squash
- Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chili
- Serano Pepper
- Red Onion
- Broth, 1 C
- Worcestshire, 2 T
- Apricot Jam, 2 T
- Thyme, fresh
- Butter Beans, 1 can
- Boil potatoes (bought at the Farmer’s Market) in salted cold water until tender. I used red and white fingerling potatoes and left the skin on.
- Chop veggies into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until they start to soften. Then add brussel sprouts, zucchini, carrot, napa cabbage, and patty pan. Once veggies have sautéed about 5 minutes add can of tomatoes, serano pepper, broth, worcestshire, apricot jam, thyme, S&P, and cumin. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce starts to reduce. The veggies should be tender crisp in a ‘thick’ sauce.
- Remove veggies from heat, add can of butter beans, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Meanwhile mash potatoes. I used a mixer and added plain rice milk, S&P, and freeze dried chives (the stores were out of fresh). They fluffed nicely even with the skin on.
- Assemble pie, I originally intended to use a 9×9 square dish but as you can see I had enough food for the larger size. Make peaks with the mash potatoes so they brown and turn crispy in the oven.
- Bake until nicely brown and the veggies are boiling up the sides of the potatoes, 30-45 minutes.