I wasn’t really sure how to title this meal. It’s a veggie medley of zucchini squash, summer squash, snap peas, and escarole. A nice mixture of summer produce, and definitely not my normal style. I typically don’t enjoy zucchini, summer squash, or snap peas. They tend to be in the category of vegetables I do not cook. I can honestly say there is not one meal on this webpage including yellow squash. But for some reason this pregnancy has me enjoying all my typical food aversions. Right now I’ve been buying zucchini weekly. And I find myself enjoying the flavor. This is new, exciting, and definitely not a bad thing. Hopefully this trend will continue after the birth.
But back to the dish.. I sautéed these vegetables with fresh oregano. Yay for our small fresh summer herb garden! And then I further simmered the veggies in a white bean sauce – a pureed mixture of northern beans, tomatoes, fresh rosemary, and caramelized onions and garlic. This dish may look heavy due to the thickness of the sauce but it was light. Perfect for a hot summer night!
Sautéed Veggies with White Bean Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium summer squash, chopped
- 1 pint snap peas, chopped
- 1 head escarole, wash/dried and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package
- Prepare bean sauce. In a medium pan heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat. Add the onion and garlic. Season with s&p and cook for 30 minutes until they are caramelized.
- To the onions add the rosemary, beans, and tomato. Continue to cook another 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft. Using an immersion blender puree the mixture to a smooth consistency. Season with more s&p if necessary and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat up a tablespoon of olive oil and add the oregano leaves. Once the olive oil is warm, over medium-high heat, add the zucchini, summer squash, and snap peas. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole and season vegetables with s&p. Mix well.
- Stir in the bean sauce and simmer the dish over low heat for 10 minutes, or more, until escarole is wilted and veggies are tender crisp.
- Serve with brown rice.