Both Josh and I loved this dish. Earthy root vegetables from our garden and local lamb shanks stewed together to make a warming and hearty meal! Plenty of fresh rosemary, lemon zest, and garlic for flavor. Stewed in a broth of red wine, chicken stock, and tomato paste. A truly perfect fall recipe!
Besides Josh and I having a great dinner I learned both my kids eat lamb meat. Who would’ve thought? They refused to eat turkey for lunch but when the lamb came out for dinner they were eating mouthfuls as I scooped it out of the crockpot. You can never truly predict your children! I love my little foodie babes!
As you read the recipe you may not prefer the root vegetables I do. Realize this meal is pretty versatile. Switch out the veggies to suit your preference and even switch out the protein if you desire. This is what I love about using my crockpot. The slow cooking allows all the flavors to blend together and I pretty much love every dish I create. Every kitchen should have a crockpot! You’ll discover it’s pretty hard to mess up a meal. Major bonus!
Root Vegetable & Lamb Shank Stew (crockpot)
Heavy on the root vegetables with just enough protein to create a hearty, flavorful, and healthy fall stew!
- 2 lamb shanks (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
- 1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 2" pieces
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped - centers cored out if woody
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves, minced ~2 tablespoons
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 heaping tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- parsley, to serve
- purple basil, to serve
- Place prepared vegetables in crockpot.. onion, garlic, celeriac, carrot, parsnip, and rutabaga. Season generously with s&p and mix.
- In a bowl add minced rosemary leaves, lemon zest, mustard, tomato paste, and red wine. Whisk gently to combine. Set aside.
- Season lamb shanks generously with s&p. In a skillet heat up a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add lamb shanks when hot and brown each side. Add lamb shanks to crockpot, placing within the vegetables, not on top.
- Deglaze the skillet with a bit of the chicken stock, just enough to unstick any brown bits. Pour into crockpot.
- Add the red wine mixture and the rest of the chicken stock to the crockpot pouring evenly over everything.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving remove the lamb shanks. Discard bones and fat. Add lamb meat back to crockpot and gently mix.
- Serve stew garnished with fresh chopped parsley and/or basil.
I chopped all my vegetables into larger pieces, my preference for a hearty stew. Feel free to chop them to the size of your liking. And feel free to substitute.. turnips, golden beets, sweet potato, white potato, ect..