I recently noticed Whole Foods started carrying turkey kielbasa. I am a fan of smoked meats but try to enjoy them in moderation. Josh in not a fan of pork kielbasa so I never buy it or cook with it. But since I found a turkey version I decided to made a batch of red beans. I threw everything in the crockpot and served it over rice. I’m not a huge fan of cajun spices and don’t have them on hand, so I went with what I had using smoked paprika, thyme, and bay leaves to flavor the dish. This made a delicious pot of food. Very hearty! Of course if you’re looking for some heat add in some jalepeno peppers or cajun spices.
Red Beans & Rice
- 2 cans red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- turkey kielbasa, sliced into thin rounds
- 26 oz chopped tomatoes, I used a carton of Pomi (you could easily use less tomatoes if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- long grained rice, cooked according to package
- Mix all ingredients listed except water and rice in crockpot. Top with just enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cook on low 8 hours. If you prefer a thicker soup add more tomato paste.
- Serve over rice.