I tend to come up with my own recipes but I do entertain myself reading through blogs and find many interesting recipes. Most I’d like to try but never do. Don’t ask me why but I’m not one for recipes. It seems easier to just throw a bunch of ingredients together and make something happen with them all. Less stress to make sure you don’t skip a step or miss an ingredient. I did come across a protein dense breakfast idea using raw buckwheat. I’m slowly coming into the raw buckwheat and oatmeal breakfast. Seems like a great way to start your day. Vegan, gluten-free, and nutrient rich – calcium, fibre, magnesium, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Soon I’ll be on to the oatmeal in a jar for breakfast idea! I’d say my biggest issue is remembering to make it before I go to bed. I many times have plans for this but never actually remember to do it. Yay for remembering this one.
The fun part is you can make a big batch to last you all week and then flavor each day accordingly. Apple pie inspired, almond butter chocolate flavored, pecan pie deliciousness, fruit medley, blueberry parfait, banana split, coconut delight… the list really is endless. I kept mine simple as it was my first batch but there is lots more of fun to come! The first two days I ate the original recipe topped with chopped banana. It was so good I didn’t need to move beyond that. The next two days I ended up blending it with some almond butter and dark chocolate, topped with banana. Once Josh saw what i was up to I had no option but to share!
RAW GROAT CEREAL, basic recipe coming from Oh She Glows
- 2 cups raw buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- vanilla extract to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- In a bowl, soak 2 cups of raw buckwheat groats and 4 cups of water overnight. After soaking, rinse well in a strainer several times.
- Place groats in food processor or blender, along with the almond milk, chia seeds, and vanilla. Process until combined and slightly smooth. Now add in the sweetener and cinnamon to taste.
- Scoop into bowls and add your desired toppings & mix-ins. Serve immediately cold. Place leftovers into fridge and enjoy for the next few days.