I did a little research and had no idea how easy it is to make a vegan custard. No condensed milk or other heavy ingredients! The taste is more fresh, more true to pumpkin flavor, and quite delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or any other nondairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- few grates of fresh nutmeg
- quick pour of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°
1. Cut pumpkins in half, deseed and degoop, bake in the oven until tender, cool, scrape out meat, food process until smooth, and measure out 1 1/2 cups.
2. Whisk together almond milk and cornstarch until smooth.
3. Add all the other ingredients mixing well. Taste it and adjust seasonings/sugar if necessary.
4. Bring some water to a boil.
5. Pour the custard mixture into ramekins or mugs filling 3/4 full.
6. Place the mugs/ramekins in a pyrex baking dish.
7. Once the water has boiled fill the baking dish 3/4 the way up with the boiling water.
8. Place dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes until centers are no longer jiggly and are somewhat firm.
9. Let cool completely before serving.
I made 4 mugs. Two of them were eaten at room temperature and two cold. I prefer cold. Better texture.