I have been sitting on a beautiful local pie pumpkin for almost a month and finally found the motivation to indulge. I decided to use the whole thing and make two kinds of pumpkin bread, one using raw grated pumpkin and the other using fresh roasted pumpkin. Both resulted in amazing bread!!!
- 2 C Spelt Flour
- 3 t Cinnamon
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 1/4 t Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 1/2 C Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 C Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1-2 t Vanilla
- 4 C Fresh Pumpkin, grated
- 1/4 C Cacao Nibs
- 1/4 C Pecan Pieces
- Deseed, peel, and chopped half of a pie pumpkin. Food process the chunks into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix together sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Fold flour into sugar mixture.
- Fold in cacao nibs and pecans.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan (I used a regular sized one and also a mini, but this whole batter would fit into one regular sized loaf pan).
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool a bit before turning the loaf out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.