Let me just start off by saying this quiche was incredible! I achieved the custard like texture you look for in a quiche while having the perfect balance of veggies with the saltiness of the prosciutto. I was in the mood to make one, which does not happen often, and I let Josh choose the ingredients for the filling. His suggestions were both the prosciutto and broccoli. Good choice! Of course I could have gone one step further in making my own crust but I chose not to and bought a frozen spelt crust from Whole Foods. I’ve used them in the past and always have great success. Along with the quiche we had a simple salad dressed with blueberry balsamic and olive oil.
Prosciutto & Broccoli Quiche
- 1 pie crust
- broccoli, chopped down into florets
- onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- olive oil
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- cheese, I used Dubliner
- In a blender mix the cream and eggs. Set aside.
- Heat up some olive oil and sauté the onion until softened. Add the garlic and broccoli. Season with s&p and continue to sauté until just tender.
- In the pie shell place the broccoli mixture in a smooth layer. Next add in the prosciutto again in a smooth layer. Pour the egg mixture slowly in the pie shell until full. Grate a light layer of cheese on the top.
- Bake in a 375° oven for ten minutes. Turn down the heat to 325° and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or so until the quiche is set. If you can’t tell when it’s set you can use a cake tester.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.