If you haven’t noticed chickpea salad has become one of our weekly meals. I make the chickpea salad in the morning and let it chill in the fridge all day. My main motivation is how quickly dinner comes together. Chop greens, chop vegetables, mix, and top with chickpea salad. Awesome!
I try to fill my days up with as much as possible, whether it be outside or inside activities, and once dinner time comes around it takes some serious motivation to make three dinners. Yes three! Josh gets home too late from work to do family style dinner. This means I make something for Cia and another something for Calen. I used to prepare dinner while Cia ate hers but now I’m feeding Calen instead. And of course after the munchkins eat I clean the kitchen, and then bathe them. I honestly don’t mind the routine, but after a full day I’m not looking to start a labor intensive dinner. Being a stay at home mom is so many jobs molded into one. There are times when Cia is driving me nuts as she explores her new capabilities, but I can’t complain, this is the best job I’ve ever had. I always knew I was meant to be a mom!
This is a perfect hot weather salad. The cooling effect of cilantro, crispness of the cucumber, and the juiciness of the pineapple compliment each other so well. After I made it I felt like it was almost a mild salsa with chickpeas instead of tomatoes. I used lime juice and avocado to tie all the ingredients together. And I love a nice crunch, adding in a stalk of celery. You can substitute red bell pepper if you prefer. And if you are looking for some heat add in a tablespoon or two of fresh minced jalapeño pepper. Serve this on greens, in lettuce wraps, or with crackers. It’s sure to please!
Pineapple & Cucumber Chickpea Salad
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 cucumber chopped small
- 1/2 pineapple, chopped small
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and smash using a potato masher until they have a flaky consistency. You could use a food processor for this too, just be conscious not to puree.
- Add cucumber, pineapple, cilantro, celery, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Season with s&p and lightly fold in avocado. Cover and refrigerate until serving.