I’ve never pickled before (crazy I know) but I’ve discovered it’s really quite simple. A friend made these recently and they were delicious! Here is my batch….
- 4 to 5 lb. fresh carrots, peeled & julienned (cut to jar length)
- 3 onions, julienned
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 C. white vinegar (5%)
- 2 C. sugar
- 1 C. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 2 Tbs. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (I was out so I used cayenne pepper)
- 2 tsp. salt
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and spices in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables to the liquid and return to a boil.
- Pack vegetables into hot, clean (sterilized) jars and fill to 1/2 inch below top.
- Process in a hot water bath, 10 minutes (30 minutes above 5000 feet).
- Let sit 2 weeks and then enjoy!