I’m going to start this post by stating that I’m not a huge meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy kind of girl. So I don’t eat or make meatloaf very often. Maybe once ever 5 or 6 months. And when I do, I’m partial to turkey meatloafs served with beets, greens, and squash. Giada has a great recipe with sundried tomatoes and feta. Also, my dad makes Ina Garten’s meatloaf which is excellent. But I wanted to try to create a meatloaf without using any cheese or breadcrumbs. In other words a paleo meatloaf, using beef.
Since I was trying something new, I chose not to go crazy with flavors or spices and it all came together quickly. I mixed sautéd garlic and onion, fresh thyme, German style mustard, paprika, and garlic powder in a bowl. Then I added in some almond flour and coconut milk. And lastly a little tomato paste. I combined all these ingredients including two eggs. Lastly I gently mixed this into the ground beef and sent it off to the oven to bake for an hour. I’m happy to report the final result was delicious. Not dry, not too crumbly, not dense, and plenty flavorful – I really like the flavor of the German style mustard added. Kid approved too!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs, lightly scrambled
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard, I used German style
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Warm olive oil in a pan over medium low heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, ~8 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients, except the ground beef, in a bowl adding onions and garlic once done. Next mix in the ground beef. Do not over mix, but rather gently incorporate everything.
- Parchment paper line a loaf pan. Gently mold the mixture into a loaf and add to pan. I try to keep it from hitting the edges of the pan so the sides can brown a bit too.
- Bake 60 minutes, until browned on top and cooked through.