This was a winner! I made a vegetarian style french onion soup and added a bunch of fennel to the mix… I also made this a day early and let it sit in the fridge.
- 1 lb onion rings, sliced into 1/4" round
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 small fennel bulbs, chopped (or 3 large)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- dried mustard
- dried thyme
- Bragg amino acids, or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp flour
- crusty bread
- munster cheese
- Sweat the onions in a pot over medium heat with butter and ~1 tbsp brown sugar. After about 15 minuted add the chopped fennel and continue to sweat the mix for another 45 minutes. This is the trick to getting the flavor you’re looking for.
- Next add red wine and let that cook down shortly. Then add vegetable broth, dried mustard, dried thyme, amino acids, s&p, and sifted flour. Once the flavors softened I let it cool and placed it in the fridge until the next night.
- Reheat soup, place in bowls topped with piece of bread and a slice or two of cheese. Broil to brown and melt.