Just as I announce my welcoming of fall I jump back into summer recipes. But what can I say, garden tomatoes have a special place in my mouth. I need to consume as many as I can before the season officially ends! We do have a steady supply of tomatoes coming in from our garden, but a friend had a nice bounty she needed to unload so I happily volunteered to take them off her hands. One can never have too many garden tomatoes!
In cherishing the beautiful sweet flavor of garden tomatoes I opted to create a no cook tomato sauce. Grated tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, and s&p. The easiest quickest tomato sauce ever! Served with spaghetti, pecorino romano, and more fresh basil. Serious yum in the tum. And for a little extra something, I tossed in some balsamic marinated garden cucumbers right before serving. Maybe I’m not quite ready for summer to end after all.
A no cook tomato sauce perfect for your garden tomatoes.
for the sauce
- 3-4 large tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- spaghetti (I used Jovial brown rice - gluten free)
- pecorino romano
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Slice tomatoes in half horizontally. Using a box grater or grater attachment on a mandolin grate the tomatoes into a large bowl. Gently press the cut side of each tomato half into the grater as you grate, and you'll be left with just the skin to discard. Awesome!
- Press or finely mince garlic and add to the tomatoes.
- Thinly slice basil leaves and add to the grated tomatoes.
- Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and season with s&p.
- Cook noodles according to box until just al dente. Drain and add to the tomato sauce. Stir on occasion and let the noodles cool. They will absorb the tomato sauce.
- Once room temperature grate in a bunch of pecorino romano, drizzle in a bit of olive oil, and season with s&p.
- chopped basil leaves
- pecorino romano
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- red pepper flakes
- fresh chopped avocado (my kids loved this addition)
- cucumber (plain or marinated in balsamic vinegar)
- chopped cherry tomatoes