After Making my lamb ragu a few weeks ago I was inspired to make another batch. This time I used mushrooms and skirt steak. Skirt steak is one of the more flavorful cuts of meat and I was hoping it wouldn’t lose it’s flavor in the sauce. My method of cooking was much quicker so no preparing ahead or simmering for hours. I browned the skirt steak, cooked the sauce, and added the skirt steak back in at the end. The flavor of the mushrooms and steak held up nicely and this is definitely a meal I will make again.
Mushroom & Steak Ragu
- – 1lb skirt steak, excess fat trimmed off
- – 1/2 lb mixed mushrooms
- – 2 14oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- – few sprigs fresh rosemary
- – olive oil
- – s&p
- – red wine
- – onion, chopped
- – garlic, minced
- In a medium dutch oven heat up olive oil over medium high heat. Add the steak in batches and brown each side. My pieces were thin taking 2-3 minutes per side. Set steak aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan and cook the onion and garlic until translucent. Mix in rosemary and mushrooms. Deglaze the pan with a splash or two of red wine.
- Add in the cans of tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice steak against the grain into thin strips. Add back to sauce and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve over pasta topped with pecorino romano.