The last post said it all. No meal planning, seeing what’s in the fridge, and making something happen. This was the end of what I had stocked in the fridge before needing to grocery shop. A head of green cauliflower, an eggplant, and baby squash. A random assortment. Normally when you think of cauliflower and eggplant mixed it’s some sort of curry. I wasn’t going there.
Cauliflower is always best roasted so in the oven it went with some garlic. I wasn’t in the mood to roast the eggplant or take the time to salt it so the other option was to grill. I sliced thick rounds and on it went. The baby squash were a perfect addition to grill too. Otherwise we had some feta, kalamata olives, and capers in the fridge so a mediterranean inspired salad came to life. With some chopped tomato added in for color and flavor. If this were summer and I had fresh herbs rosemary and oregano would have been perfect additions.
Mediterranean Cauliflower, Baby Squash, and Eggplant
- head cauliflower, broken down
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- medium eggplant
- 8 baby squash
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives halved
- 2-3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Toss cauliflower with minced garlic, s&p, and a little bit of olive oil. Roast in a 425° oven for 30 minutes until browned and tender. Place in a bowl.
- Meanwhile slice eggplant into 1 1/2″ rounds and slice baby squash in half. Coat in olive oil and grill. Flip once dark char lines appear and continue to cook until tender. Remove from grill. Chop eggplant into 1″ cubes and add to cauliflower along with squash.
- Mix in olives, capers, feta, and tomato. Season with more s&p. If needed drizzle a little more olive oil.