Sometimes it’s fun to change up your typical side dish. And even better when you can combine two potential side dishes into one. Less dishes, less cooking, all win wins here! I knew I was making sweet potatoes for dinner and when I saw the cauliflower staring at me in the fridge I decided to throw them both into the mix. I know this doesn’t sound super exciting but with the addition of caramelized onion and garlic this became something delicious!
Mashed Cauliflower and Sweet Potato
Mashed cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Creamed with greek yogurt and coconut milk and seasoned with caramelized onions and garlic. YUM!
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced/pressed
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt, plain full fat
- ~1/4 cup coconut milk *
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat up a skillet over medium low heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once warm add the onion and cook until fully softened about 20 minutes. If the onions start to brown too much lower the heat and/or if they stick add the other tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook another 5 minutes to just soften.
- Meanwhile using a steamer basket place the sweet potatoes on the bottom and the cauliflower on top. Steam about 12 minutes until fully soft. Remove and place in a large bowl.
- Too the sweet potatoes and cauli add the greek yogurt and coconut milk. Start with 1/8 cup coconut milk. Mash using a hand masher or immersion blender until desired consistency adding more coconut milk if needed. I left mine just a bit chunky and used just under 1/4 cup coconut milk. Season generously with s&p and stir in the caramelized onion/garlic and parsley, reserving a bit for garnish.
* I typically don't have dairy milk in the house, if you do feel free to substitute it for the coconut milk.