YUM IN MY TUM!
I have been craving some delicious M&C (mac and cheese). I don’t know why but I cannot get enough of it sometimes. So in keeping it healthy I decided to make a recipe I have made before. I didn’t look back to the old recipe though just went with what sounded good. In looking at it now they are pretty much the same. The concept is to make a squash ‘sauce’ to go with some quinoa elbows. It turns out creamy and just as delicious as normal M&C. I chose to use delicata squash, it’s my favorite. As the name implies it very delicate in texture and smooth. The meal has minimal cheese, some protein, and a vegetable. (I did use about 5 times more cheese than is pictured). This is a perfect comfort dish for fall weather. I get tired of a lot of meals but this one I could truly eat every week! I also decided to give it a little crunch topping by making some crispy brussel sprout leaves.
Mac and Squash
- 2 medium-large delicata squash (they tend to be small and are very hollow)
- medium onion, chopped
- 5 slices turkey bacon, chopped (I used Applegate)
- olive oil
- spoonful Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- box quinoa elbows
- brussel sprouts, leaves separated
- pecorino romano
- Roast squash in a 350° oven until soft. Do this however you like. I chopped mine, brushed them in olive oil, and roasted for 45 minutes. It would be easier I’m sure to peel it, cube it, and then roast with some olive oil. Or even to just halve and roast them.
- Put up a pot of water for cooking pasta.
- Heat up some olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook 5 minutes or so until they have become soft.
- Add bacon to the onion, turn heat up to medium high and brown.
- Cook pasta.
- Coat brussel sprout leaves with a small bit of olive and rub into the leaves. Lay on a flat layer on a parchment paper coated baking sheet and bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes. I like mine pretty brown, if you’d like less start checking at 15 minutes.
- To the bacon and onion add the roasted squash, spoonful of chicken base, and water. Add water 1/4 cup at a time while mashing the squash until the desired consistency is reached. Season with a bit of s&p.
- Quinoa pasta needs rinsed and reheating. Cook until al dente, rinse, and add to the squash mixture. Mix well and heat through.
- Serve with a generous amount of grated pecorino romano cheese and a layer of the crispy brussel sprout leaves.