Wow it’s been awhile since I’ve made an appearance here. Sometimes life takes you away, new routines are formed, and time seems to disappear. It’s been almost a month since I’ve posted a recipe! During that time my family visited, Cia Louise turned 1 (still cannot believe this!), I’ve been sick a few times (UGH!!), and otherwise have been busy doing life. I still spend plenty of hours in the kitchen but it seems by the time my food is cooked I just want to sit down and eat. Like last night, I cooked an awesome version of ropa vieja, but by the time Josh arrived home from work I was too hungry to take the time to photograph it. And now I sit here eating the leftovers wishing I had a few pictures so I could share the meal. I guess you win some and you lose some.
I made this lentil stew last week during a cold spell. My original intention was to add kale to it but when shopping the swiss chard was too beautiful to pass up. There is really nothing to this recipe. I browned turkey Italian sausage with chopped onion. Mixed in carrot, celery, and garlic . And lastly added in lentils, a can of crushed tomatoes, and water. For seasoning I used only salt and pepper. For me I love the flavor of Italian sausage and often let this flavor my dishes. Green lentils take about 45 minutes to soften so this is definitely a doable weeknight dinner. The chard gets added at the end so it stays tender crisp. We all loved this! I made a large batch so we could enjoy it for a few more meals. I love one pot meals. I find them to be the most flavorful and exciting with all the different components. And Cia has proven to love them too. She’s not really into basic individual vegetables these days so this is a great way for her to get her nutrition.
Lentil, Sausage, and Swiss Chard Stew
- 1 lb, turkey Italian sausage (I used mild and bought mine without the casings)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- handful of baby carrots, chopped
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- bunch of swiss chard, washed and chopped
- In a pot over medium-high heat add a splash of olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook a few minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the Italian sausage and continue to cook breaking into smaller chunks with a spoon as it browns.
- Once the sausage is about fully cooked through add the garlic, carrots, and celery. Continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, can of tomatoes, and add enough water to cover the lentils by 1/2″. Add more water for a brothy soup. Season with s&p.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Lastly stir in the chard and continue to cook another 5 minutes until tender crisp.