We’ve been eating lots of kale salads the last few weeks. Sometimes I forget how much I love a good kale salad! I’m not a fan of mushy greens and kale is certainly the answer to a strong ‘lettuce’ that can hold up to any dressing. Plus I love making a big batch so there are leftovers for the following day.
Besides kale I added in quinoa, haricot verts, chickpeas, carrots, cucumber, tomato, and avocado. Served with the tahini dressing this is a vegetarian salad that will fill you up and provide you with sustained energy. The key to making a salad you want to eat often is to have plenty of interesting and exciting add ins. I kept this salad simple but there were many different textures and tastes. I make plenty of variations adding different seeds, nuts, dried fruits, cheese, and fresh vegetables. It’s easy to buy in bulk and stock your pantry with these options, so when you make a salad you can toss a few handfuls in. I call these little flavor and texture bursts and they are what keep me coming back to eating salad after salad. I can easily get bored with repetitive foods and this is one way to prevent this. Another way is to make homemade dressings. They are extremely simple and are so much better than a store bought bottles, in taste and ingredients.
Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing (makes enough for 4-6)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clover
- juice of 1/2 lemon, or more
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 bunches green kale, washed & stems removed
- 3 persian cucumbers, sliced thin
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2-1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- haricot verts, rinsed & end trimmed & sliced into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 avocado chopped, to serve.
- Prepare dressing by food processing tahini, water, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Add more lemon juice if desired and season with s&p.
- Chop kale into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add half the dressing and massage well into kale using your hands. This will break the kale down a bit.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the avocado, and mix well adding more dressing as needed. You can easily make this salad in advance and let it sit covered in the fridge or serve immediately.
- Serve with avocado.