I first made this salad and dressing last week for dinner. Josh’s dad was arriving back in the country and I knew he would want something ‘clean’ but tasty and filling. It was a hit. My original version was kale, cucumber, tomato, rye bread croutons, beets, and crumbled veggie burgers. All mixed with plenty of dressing and fresh grated pecorino. Delicious! So of course I needed to make it again, to enjoy and to share. Tonights version was pretty much the same – kale, cucumber, tomato, panko croutons, beets, crumbled veggie burgers, carrots, and micro greens. I like a colorful caesar salad!
The dressing is based off of Elana’s Pantry caesar dressing. Her recipes calls for raw garlic but I chose to roast mine. The flavor is ‘sweeter’ and milder than if I used raw garlic, but still plenty flavorful. This made for a very creamy and rich dressing. I also added in a generous tablespoon of capers. Lately I have been doing lots of research on dressings and sauces, in an effort to make more of my own, and capers are one of my favorite recommendations. Here they add a nice salty flavor which is needed to balance out all the roasted garlic.
- 2 bulbs garlic, roasted (you can easily use one bulb instead)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dijon styled mustard
- 2 anchovies
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers
- Remove roasted garlic cloves from bulbs and place in food processor with olive oil. Blend until smooth adding a bit more olive oil if necessary.
- Add 1/2 the lemon juice, mustard, anchovies, capers, and season with s&p. Pulse. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired, I added a bit more. Refrigerate until serving.
Kale Caesar Salad
- caesar dressing
- 1 bunch curly green kale, stems removed and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- large handful micro greens
- 8 oz. roasted beets, I bought mine pre-cooked from Trader Joe’s
- 2 Hilary’s Eat Well root veggie burgers (or any other kind)
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Mix olive oil and panko. Place in a small skillet and heat over low heat until golden. Set aside.
- Cook veggie burgers according to package. Set aside.
- Meanwhile place kale in a large bowl. Add 1/2 the dressing and massage into the kale using your hands. Add more dressing as needed, I used about 2/3 for a large bunch of kale.
- To the kale toss in the cucumber, tomato, carrot, and micro greens.
- Top with beets, crumbled veggie burgers, and panko.