I have a little feeling this summer is going to be an ‘eat your greens’ kind of season. As we enjoy the warmer days I’m inspired to eat plenty of salads, particularly raw kale salads with delicious homemade dressings. Stay tuned!
Recently my neighbor introduced me to her favorite dressing for hearty greens. You most likely have the four ingredients in your kitchen and it’s a must make. I’ve used all these components before but it’s been awhile and I forgot how delicious olive oil, grain mustard, lemon juice, and maple syrup can be together.
I made a quick salad using green kale, broccolini, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. I massaged the kale and broccoli well with the dressing and let it sit for about an hour. Along with it I served some sliced up Persian cucumbers, broccoli sprouts, roasted sunchokes, and a hemp and greens veggie burger. The sunchokes I sliced and roasted in olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper. The veggie burger I just discovered. They are a new brand Hilary’s Eat Well. Probably my favorite veggie burger to date!
Kale and Broccolini Salad (serves 2)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 bunch brocollini, brown down into small florets
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, I use tart apple sweetened
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Make dressing by combining olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a small jar. Cover and shake to mix well. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- In a large bowl add the kale and broccolini. Pour in the dressing and massage well with hands. Cover and let chill in the fridge at least 20 minutes. You technically don’t have to do this.
- When ready to serve mix in cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and season with a little s&p.
- Serve with whatever else you desire:
- veggie burger
- roasted veggies
- goat cheese
If you want to add in roasted sunchokes wash thoroughly and slice into 1/4″ pieces. Toss with olive oil and season with s&p. Place in a large skillet and roast at 400° for 20 minutes until tender crisp.