I wish I could take full credit for this recipe but unfortunately I cannot. I am not sure why it has never crossed my mind to make pesto with hemp seeds. We always have plenty of them in the fridge and they are a perfect change to the typical nut pesto. The recipe pictured above is from Oh She Glows. Such a beautiful spring meal! It’s sun-dried tomato basil-hemp pesto with asparagus, leeks, and peas. It was amazing. This pesto is both nut free and vegan. Normally I’m not a fan of dairy free pestos but when made with hemp seeds I truly did not miss or notice the lack of cheese. Of course the sun-dried tomatoes added a nice zing to the flavor profile too. I loved her idea of adding this pesto to asparagus, leeks, and peas so I went ahead and followed her recipe minus the julienned carrots. It does not disappoint!
Since this pesto was such a hit I decided to make another batch of hemp seed pesto, this time using pecorino romano and omitting the sun-dried tomatoes. Delicious. I served it with zucchini noodles, mushrooms, leeks, and smoked mozzarella. Nothing fancy but still yummy. And I should add in I recently added a new toy to my kitchen collection, a 14 cup Cuisinart food processor. We all have our priorities on what we choose to spend our money on but if you don’t have a food processor or are looking to upgrade I highly recommend this one. I have already done it all from doughs to pestos and it works like a charm. When you have good quality appliances or gear it always makes the activity, in my case cooking, more enjoyable!
SUN-DRIED TOMATO BASIL-HEMP PESTO (By Oh She Glows)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt, or to taste
- Add the garlic into a food processor and process until minced.
- Now add in the basil and sun-dried tomatoes and process again until smooth.
- Finally, add the rest of the ingredients and process again until combined and smooth.
Hemp Seed Pesto
- 1/2 cups basil leaves
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated pecorino romano
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- Add the garlic to food processor and mince.
- Add basil, olive oil, pecorino romano, and hemp seeds and process until smooth.
- Season with s&p