Josh and I are both coming out of being insanely sick. It seems with having young kids sickness continually travels through our household. I did manage to hold strong for the past month or so but just over a week ago I got the smack down. And I mean this literally. I could barely take care of my children and it was the most frustrating and miserable experience. It seemed I could barely remember anything. Any work I did was incomplete with mistakes and I couldn’t cook a meal without forgetting a main ingredient. I typically keep all my loose ends tied up sort of speak and I was frayed down to my core! The good news is I’m back on my feet and so far both the kids have been spared. Of course Cash came down with the sniffles today but no flu like symptoms which Josh and I were experiencing.
So here is my first complete meal I’ve cooked in over a week. And by complete I mean I managed to include all the ingredients I had envisioned for the recipe. Ground lamb, roasted beets, and sautéed zucchini served on some rice and topped with feta and fresh dill. Lots of bright flavors that taste delicious together!
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning (I used Penzey's mix)
- 2 large zucchini, sliced on the diagonal into 1/4" thick slices.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (or use quinoa)
- 3 large beets
- fresh dill
- feta cheese
- Heat oven to 425.
- Peel beets and chop into small chunks 1/2"-1". Coat lightly in olive oil and place in a skillet in a single layer. Season with s&p Once oven is heated add and roast 40 minutes or so until tender.
- Meanwhile cook rice according to package. Set aside keeping it covered once done.
- In a large saute pan heat up a bit of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and saute 5 minutes. Add the ground lamb and break down with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the Greek seasoning and season generously with s&p. Continue to cook until browned. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In the same pan add a bit more olive oil and add the zucchini. Cook until close to desired doneness. I like mine soft so I cooked it 8-10 minutes. A few minutes before cooked through add the garlic to soften and season with s&p.
- Serve rice topped with zucchini, ground lamb, and roasted beets. Garnish with chopped fresh dill and crumbled feta cheese.