Artichokes are such a beautiful plant! And grilling them takes the flavor to a whole new level!!!
1. If there are sharp points on the bottom half of the artichoke cut off the spiky tips with scissors. Next cut off the top (see picture above). Slice in half and scoop out the purple stuff and furs connecting to the heart. If you have a melon baller this works best. If you are cutting more than once place then cut artichoke in some lemon water to prevent from browning.
2. Once the artichokes are prepped place them on a steamer basket in a large pot with one inch of water in the base. Steam for ~20 minutes until a knife easily goes through.
3. Set aside until they cool.
4. Once cool drizzle with olive oil, season with s&p, and stuff the cracks with some fresh chopped garlic.
5. Grill cut side up for ~10 minutes and then flip grilling the other side for another ~5 minutes.
6. Cut the halves in half again and eat! These were delicious, nothing extra was needed!
* You can eat the stem, especially on large artichokes. The outer skin may be a bit tough but as you can see in the picture below the heart should peel right out and down the stem leaving the tough stringy part behind!