Since there was no way I could eat 2 plus cups of turnip green and garlic scape pesto, by the spoon, I decided to use some of it as the ‘dressing’ for a green bean and corn salad. This is one of my favorite things about summer. These kinds of meals are totally my thing. Plenty of fresh produce and meals with lots of vibrant colors! And as a bonus, minimal cooking is involved. I seriously can’t get enough of it!!
A simple salad dressed with my turnip green and garlic scape pesto! YUM!!
- 12 oz green beans, trimmed and chopped into 2" pieces
- 3 ears corn
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- small chunk of cheese - I used a hard sheeps milk cheese, swiss cheese is a good substitute
- 1/2-1 cup pesto
- Steam prepared green beans until just tender. Rinse with cold water and set aside to drain.
- Slice kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl.
- Quarter or half the tomatoes and add to the corn.
- Chop the cheese into a small pieces, ~1/4" cubes, and add to the corn.
- Use a paper towel to fully dry the green beans and add to the corn.
- Season with s&p and gently mix.
- Add the pesto starting with a half cup and gently toss until everything is evenly coated. Add more pesto if desired. I think I used about 3/4 cup.
- Refrigerate to chill and serve.
The cheese I used is herve mons pyrenees brebis. It's a hard slightly pungent sheep's milk cheese. Swiss cheese or even parmesan would be a perfect substitute or you can omit the cheese if you prefer.
I enjoyed this for lunch topped with flaked tunafish and balsamic vinegar.