I don’t eat a lot of meat these days but there are some times when the inspiration hits and it’s time to head to Whole Foods meat department. I’ve been craving Mediterranean/Greek flavors recently. There’s a little cafe in Boulder we frequent during the warm season, to sit outdoors, and I cannot wait for our spring visit to happen. In the meantime I opted to make Greek marinated lamb which I served over a bed of greens and quinoa with a generous serving of raita.
Instead of mixing my own seasoning I have Penzeys Greek seasoning on hand. It’s delicious but lacking a little rosemary so I added some in. I marinated the lamb with these seasonings plus plenty of fresh minced garlic and some lemon juice. Taking the easy way out I chose to bake the lamb. The end result was tender and fully flavorful. The raita was seasoned with cumin and fresh dill. This was quick to throw together perfect for a week night meal.
Greek Lamb with Quinoa and Greens (serves 2)
- 3/4 lb lamb, boneless shoulder, fat trimmed off and sliced into thin pieces
- 1 teaspoon Penzeys greek seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup minced cucumber
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- butter lettuce
- shredded carrots
- broccoli sprouts
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- In a glass bowl mix lamb, Greek seasoning, garlic, lemon, rosemary, and olive oil. Season with s&p. Cover and refrigerate an hour.
- Make raita.. mix cucumber, yogurt, cumin, fresh dill, and lemon juice. Season with s&p. Refrigerate until using.
- Place lamb, single layer, in a large skillet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until just cooked through. Turn on broil and finish cooking allowing meat to slightly brown. Cool slightly.
- Mix lettuce, carrots, sprouts, and quinoa. Place on plates. Top with raita and lamb.