I’ve been sick for almost two weeks now. This is extremely frustrating to say the least. I’ve been doing plenty to boost my immunity but can’t seem to shake it. Garlic infused water with fresh lemon, elderberry, ravensara neti pots, I could go on.
I watch two boys during the mornings and their germs manners are pretty poor. They are where the sickness came from. (Yes I should know better than to say things like this on my blog). I’m praying this weekend this cold will finally leave my body.
So I decided to make a hearty potato soup. This soup is ridiculously easy and extremely tasty. My technique was to roast potatoes, leeks, and a bulb of garlic. This flavored the soup enough to make my job easy. I left out the cream/dairy. There really is no need when you make soup this way. I did use chicken broth but tagged this soup vegetarian/vegan since you can easily substitute veggie broth instead. I normally don’t have too much interest in potatoes but for some reason potato soup was calling my name. I served it with some sautéed mushrooms, avocado, and mushroom fougasse (bread). This soup was awesome. Incredible in fact. Normally I’d like some cheese with my potato soup but the thought didn’t even cross my mind. The sweet flavor of the roasted garlic came through but it wasn’t overpowering. Roasting potatoes is definitely the way to make potato soup!
Golden Potato Soup
- 2 lbs golden potatoes (I had two more medium potatoes from a dish I didn’t make so I added them too)
- 2 medium sized leeks
- large bulb of garlic
- olive oil
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base, spoonful
- 6 cups water
- crimini mushrooms
- avocado to serve, optional
- bread to serve, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prepare garlic to roast. Peel away outer layers of garlic by rubbing downward. Leave the cloves and their immediate skins intact. Cut off the top bit of the bulb revealing each clove. Place the bulb onto a piece of foil, sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Fold foil and make a little pouch.
- Prep veggies to roast. Peel potatoes and slice roughly into 1″ cubes. Chop off the greens of the leeks. Slice the rest lengthwise and then chop into 1″ chunks. Rinse well to remove all dirt. Place potatoes and leeks in a large pyrex dish or a roasting pan. Coat with a few tablespoons of olive oil and some salt. Add rosemary sprigs.
- Place garlic and potatoes/leeks in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes or so until slightly browned.
- Once veggies are roasted remove from oven. Add the potatoes and leeks to a soup pot along with water and chicken base. Bring soup to a simmer.
- While soup is heating remove each clove of garlic from the bulb and add to the soup.
- Once the soup has come to a low simmer and potatoes are fork tender blend. I used my immersion blender but you could also blend in batches using a regular blender. Taste test and add salt and any other seasoning if desired. (My pregnancy has had me avoiding black pepper but I’m sure you’ll want to add that too).
- In a saucepan over medium high heat warm a bit of olive oil. When hot add the mushrooms. They key to cooking mushrooms is to use high heat. Stir often until fully wilted and slightly browned.
- Serve soup in a bowl topped with sautéed mushrooms and sliced avocado.