Tis the season for green vegetables. Besides a large variety of leafy greens available, garlic scapes and fava beans have made their appearance! I love the curly flare of garlic scapes and could not contain my excitement when I located them at our farmer’s market. They are extremely versatile emitting a mild-sweet garlic flavor. To me one of their perks, besides the flavor, is their texture. Even when cooked they retain their sturdy shape, a perfect compliment to creamy fava beans.
To go with this meal I made a batch of pesto. I used my current favorites, hemp seeds and walnuts. It makes for such a delicious variety. Lots of flavor with a nice balance of creaminess and texture. Planning ahead I made this in the morning and refrigerated until needed.
Once dinner time came I started by sautéing some lamb sausage I had purchased at Whole Foods. Meanwhile I quickly blanched the fava beans and removed their outer skins. It’s so exciting when you uncover the bright beans, truly one of my favorite colors! Then I stir fried the garlic scapes and added the sausage back in along with some fresh peas. Next I mixed in the fava beans to heat through. I placed this all in bowl and last came a nice big scoop of pesto on top. It was really beautiful, all the different shades of green.
I served this along with a bed of baby greens (spinach, chard, beet greens, kale), sprinkled with smoked mozzarella and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Delicious!
Garlic Scapes, Fava Beans, & Pesto
- 1/4 cup pesto (recipe below)
- 1 cup chopped garlic scapes
- 1 cup fava beans, blanched and outer skins removed
- 1 cup fresh peas (or frozen)
- 1/2 lb basil and garlic lamb sausage
- 2 oz smoked mozzarella
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar, I used blueberry but any kind will work
- Heat up 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb sausage and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain off any excess grease and add the garlic scapes. Cook 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile slice lamb sausage into 1 inch pieces.
- Add peas and sausage to garlic scapes. Cook 2 more minutes until peas are tender.
- Stir in fava beans and season with s&p.
- Place in a bowl and top with pesto.
- Place greens and smoked mozzarella in serving bowls. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve to be topped with garlic scape mixture.
Pesto (makes a bit more than 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4oz basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino romano
- Place garlic in food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Add basil, hemp seeds, walnuts, and pecorino romano. Food process while drizzling in olive oil until smooth.
- Season with s&p.