I apologize for the name of this post. I wasn’t quite sure what to call it. Our garden is in full bloom lately and our food has been based around what we are growing. Tomatoes, lettuce, Persian cucumbers, basil, kale, eggplant, beets, carrots, parsley, okra, chives, swiss chard, zucchini, squash, oregano, thyme, broccoli, dill, rutabaga, and brussel sprouts. Everything is super happy and we’ve been harvesting daily. It’s been awesome!! I plan out very few meals. Instead we pick from our garden and create it all into something delicious. Here is one of those meals. I used zucchini, patty pans, okra, kale, parsley, and basil from the garden, and a pound of local ground beef. This meal was filling but not heavy. The flavor of the fresh vegetables adds so much leaving minimal need for seasoning beyond salt and pepper. It’s going to be a sad day when the garden dwindles to the cold weather!
Garden Veggies and Ground Beef
A one pot meal using fresh veggies, fresh herbs, and ground beef!
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed (minced)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 2 patty pans, slice into wedges
- handful okra, chopped
- 4 large kale leaves, washed and torn into small pieces
- 2 ripe plantains, chopped into rounds (yellow and starting to brown)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- large handful of basil leaves
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- olive oil
- bread, to serve (I bought a local fresh baked rosemary lemon)
- In a large sauté pan heat up a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add half the garlic and stir 30 seconds until fragrant. Add ground beef and break down with back of spoon. Season with s&p and cook until just browned. Set aside off heat.
- In a large pot add a tablespoon of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the other half of garlic and the red onion. Cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add zucchini, patty pans, and okra. Season with s&p and continue to cook. Add the kale leaves and stir to wilt. Add the plantain, parsley, basil leaves, tomato sauce, and browned ground beef. Season with more s&p and stir. Once simmering turn heat down to low and continue to cook another 20 minutes or so until everything is cooked through.
- Serve with toasted bread.
Feel free to add in or substitute any veggies to your liking.. eggplant, peppers, broccoli, swiss chard, ect..