This was a winner! Extremely satisfying and healthy. I will say though that getting good cans of tomatoes makes a huge difference. Muir Glen’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes are amazing. Try them! I have been on a soup kick lately and it’s been exciting to enjoy them with lots of toppings. Makes the meal a bit heartier.
- 2 C French Green Lentils
- Olive Oil
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, chopped
- 28 oz. Tomatoes (I used two 14 oz cans of fire roasted tomatoes; 1 with green chiles and 1 with roasted garlic)
- 6-8 C Veggie Broth
- Lacianto Kale, stems removed
- Butternut Squash
- Greek Yogurt, small container
- Chives, I used freeze dried
There are a couple parts to this meal but it’s all rather simple.
Yogurt Sauce (omit this for a vegan dinner, or just use a vegan yogurt)
- Since I used freeze dried chives I soaked them in ~2 T boiling water until the water cooled. I wanted the flavors to be released.
- Mix yogurt with chives and water, cumin, paprika, and salt. I didn’t measure out the spices, just add a bit and taste test.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Peel, seed, and cube the butternut squash.
- In a skillet heat some olive oil and sauté the squash until tender and lightly browned.
- Set aside (this is one of the toppings)
- Boil 8 cups of water and once boiling add the lentils. Cook until tender ~20-30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot heat some olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the cans of tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add the veggie broth, lentils, and kale.
- Cook for ~15 minutes until all the flavors have meddled and the kale is softened.
- Taste broth and season if necessary, I only added salt. I’m telling you the cans of tomatoes add tons of flavor!
Serve the soup topped with avocado, butternut squash cubes, and a dollop of yogurt. YUM